Thursday, April 29, 2010

Yet another leftard pretends Arizona is Nazi central.

This is one of the more ridiculous reactions to the AZ anti-illegal law that I've come across. I can only assume that this woman is one of those New Yorkers who lives in isolation from the outside world.

She says she works at Bellevue, but her though processes make me wonder if she isn't a patient.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/medicine-in-translation/201004/arizona-the-newest-soviet-republic

Here is the response I posted:

The easiest way for people in Arizona to prove that they are legal residents is to pull out their Arizona driver's license or state-issued ID card. If someone lives here, then that is something that they should already have.

Arizona does not issue ID cards to illegal aliens. You must be either a US citizen, or a legal alien with the proper documentation.

Federal law requires legal aliens to carry their green card at all times. So even if someone is a legal resident of the US, but lives in another state, they will still be able to prove that they are here legally.

The people who will be most affected by this are Americans from other states which DO issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens. I confess I don't know off the top of my head which states do this, but it is my understanding that some states do. I work at ASU and we have many out of state students who will likely be affected by this. The good news is that this law has not gone into effect yet. They have plenty of time to obtain an AZ driver's license or ID card.

This new law does not authorize the police to go around asking for ID from every person they see. Such a law would never have been passed.

What it does do is require police officers to determine the legal status of the people they are already interacting with. Why this should be so controversial is really beyond me. If a police officer pulls you over for running a stop-sign and asks for your license, one of the first things he or she does is check to see if you have any outstanding warrants. How is checking to make sure that you are here legally any different? If someone is not here legally, then they are breaking the law. This is an irrefutable truth. Try as I might, I really, really can't get my head around the idea that the police are not supposed to enforce the law.

The full text of the law can be found here:

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

No comments: